Some of the links below are affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
EVERY HEALTHY SNACK SHOULD BE THIS GOOD!
Oh popcorn! I love it! It’s one of my favourite snacks! I used to have an old air popcorn machine many moons ago, and my brother, my boyfriend and I used to sit watching movies, eating enormous quantities of air-popped corn.
We loved eating healthy food even then, and we only added a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Popcorn is full of whole grain, fibre and antioxidants, and naturally gluten-free. You just need to be careful not to buy popcorn full of fat, sugar and artificial flavourings. Otherwise you will turn a super healthy snack into not-so-healthy junk food.
A couple of years ago we decided to buy a new popcorn machine and I wanted to come up with a tasty flavourful alternative. I love Italian flavours and I wanted something as similar to the original deal as possible.
I used all the ingredients you find on a good focaccia plus a bit of parmesan: rosemary, oregano, sundried tomatoes and a bit of extra virgin olive oil – a fantastic combination. This recipe reminds me of eating a freshly baked pizza – so yummy you have to try it!
Cheesy Italian popcorn is insanely easy to make! It’s the perfect healthy snack for when you want to indulge in a savoury treat, and it’s also perfect as a quick appetizer for a party aperitive. Spritz anyone?!
Cheesy Italian Popcorn, a Healthy Snack You Need to Try
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- A pinch of salt
- Make a paste with the sun-dried tomatoes by chopping them as finely as possible.
- Either pop the kernels with a popcorn machine or heat half of the olive oil in a large pot with a lid. If you are using the pot method, once the oil is hot, add the popcorn and cover with the lid and cook until the popping slows, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the chopped rosemary, dry oregano, sun-dried tomato paste and remaining olive oil in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pot and toss the popcorn to coat.
- Add the parmesan to the popcorn and warm everything up over medium heat for a couple of minutes, adding a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve nice and warm.
- You can also let the popcorn cool and store in a bag or jar for a couple of days (they never, ever last that long).
Follow us on PINTEREST for more delicious recipes!