Some of the links below are affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
THIS VEGAN NUTELLA IS HEALTHY, EASY TO MAKE AND SO DELICIOUS!
I love healthy food, but let’s face it, who doesn’t need a guilty treat from time to time?
I used to love Nutella when I was a kid: it has always been a bit of a weakness!
But when I discovered what it was made of, I was in a bit of a shock!
A jar of Nutella contains:
- 58% sugar: yes you’ve read that right! It’s not a typo.
- 18% fat: and the main issue with the fat contained in Nutella is that it mostly comes from palm oil. Palm oil not only is bad for you, as it contains over 50% of saturated fat. It’s also a big cause of deforestation which is having a massive environmental impact.
And what about nuts? Isn’t that supposed to be the main ingredient as it’s called NUT-ella after all?
Well, Ferrero says each jar contains around 50 nuts, which equates to 20-25%.
If you want to have a look at what a Nutella jar contains, have a look at this shocking image.
Why should you make homemade Nutella?
You need to make homemade Nutella because you can have all the deliciousness of the real deal without all the nastiness!
This homemade vegan Nutella is so simple to make and you won’t believe how delicious it tastes! It also has less than half the calories of the real deal and it’s full of vitamins and healthy fats!
Since I discovered this healthier option I feel much better about eating it straight out of the jar!
Is Nutella suitable for vegans?
The real Nutella contains skim milk and whey. These 2 ingredients make it not suitable for vegan. But don’t despair! My yummy recipe is perfect for vegan, it’s lactose-free and gluten-free.
Everything you need for this vegan Nutella recipe:
When I made this recipe for the first time, I couldn’t believe how close to the real Nutella it tasted! You can prep this in only 20 minutes and it requires 4 simple ingredients:
- hazelnuts: the start of the show!
- cashew nuts: my secret ingredient to add creaminess to this vegan version.
- dark chocolate: of course!
- cocoa powder: for a slightly deeper chocolate flavor.
TIP: I toast my hazelnut and cashew nuts in the oven to enhance the nutty flavor. I also like to keep the skin on for added fiber, but you can remove it if you want a smoother texture.
This healthy Nutella is amazing on a hot slice of wholegrain bread, drizzled over a sliced banana or, my favorite, straight out of the jar with a spoon!
And if you want some incredible recipes to use this vegan Nutella, check out my favorite ones at the bottom of this page!
How To Make Homemade Vegan Nutella
4-Ingredient Homemade Vegan Nutella
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 1¾ oz. dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place the nuts on a baking tray and roast them for 6-8 minutes and allow to cool before processing. I prefer to leave the skin on the hazelnuts as it’s full of fibre, but feel free to remove it.
- Place the hazelnuts and cashew nuts in your food processor and begin to blend. Depending on your food processor, it will take 10 to 15 minutes to reach the perfect smooth liquid consistency. If the hazelnuts and cashew nuts stick to the sides, run a spatula alongside the bowl and keep processing. You will feel like nothing is really happening but be patient, and if your food processor is overheating turn it off for a few minutes and let it cool down. After a while the magic will start happening – the oil contained in the nuts will break down and after a few more minutes you will have a smooth nut butter.
- While the nuts are processing, break the chocolate into small chunks and place them into a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water until melted.
- Once the nut butter is ready and deliciously creamy, add the melted chocolate, the cocoa powder and sugar (if you like to add extra sweetness - I personally leave it out) and blitz for another couple of minutes.
- As soon as it’s ready, it will be quite liquid, as the nuts will be warm. You can put the Nutella in the fridge for up to a couple of hours for a thicker consistency.
- Store the Nutella in a sterilized airtight jar and enjoy. You can keep it a room temperature for around a month (if it stays around that long)!
- If you are in a hurry, you can buy toasted hazelnuts and avoid toasting the cashew nuts
- If you have a sweet tooth, you can add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
My Favorite Vegan Nutella Recipes:
If you are interested in starting your own blog, have a look at my step-by-step guide! I will show you everything you need to do to start a successful money-making blog!
Check out all the best resources for your blog! I find all these resources so valuable and I am sure they will help you as much as they helped me.