Frozen grapes are, by far, one of the best healthy snacks for scorching summer days! The first time you try them, you won’t believe how delicious they are. They are soft, sweet, and taste just like the most mouth-watering fruit sorbet! They’ll blow your mind! They are incredibly refreshing, super healthy, and they are ready in no time.
The first time I had frozen grapes, I was probably 4 or 5 years old, and I was on a beach in Sicily. It was so torrid every summer; the air blowing in my hair reminded me of a hot hairdryer.
When I put that small, cold, sweet thing in my mouth, I thought I was in heaven. You see, frozen grapes help cool your body when it’s incredibly hot outside, and they become a bit addictive. You basically can’t stop eating them!
Plus, they taste pretty much like a delicious fruit sorbet or a delicious popsicle, and to this day, I still can’t believe how good they are.
It’s just another reminder that the best things in life are the simple ones.
So, it’s my mission to make sure everyone tries them! And so far, my frozen grapes have been a success.
But how can you make frozen grapes, and why are they so delicious?
How to make frozen grapes
Making frozen grapes has to be the easiest recipe in the world. It takes about 5 minutes of your time plus 6-8 hours in the freezer, and boom, you have a delicious healthy snack ready to eat.
- Wash well. First of all, remove each grape from the stem and discard any spoiled or broken grapes. Grapes belong to the Dirty Dozen list of foods that contain a high level of pesticides. So try to opt for organic fresh grapes when you can. Wash them well under running cold water to get rid of as much residue as possible.
- Dry. Once you have washed your grapes, dry them well using a kitchen towel or a paper towel. Removing the excess moisture will prevent the grapes from sticking together when you put them in the freezer.
- Freeze. Place the grapes in a Ziploc freezer bag or an airtight glass container, seal, and place them in the freezer for at least 6 to 8 hours. If you want to make sure they won’t stick together, you can place them flat in a single layer, but this isn’t really necessary if you dry them well.
- Eat. When craving a sweet treat, remove some from the freezer and eat them straight away. You’ll be surprised by how soft they are straight out of the freezer. The high fructose content in grapes prevents them from becoming rock hard, and it’s what makes them so delicious!
How to store
You can keep frozen grapes in the freezer for up to one year, but I find they taste better in the first three months. Also, remember that frozen grapes are best eaten frozen. Although they are safe to eat once thawed, their texture and taste will lose out, and they won’t taste as good as fresh.
Top tips for freezing grapes
What type of grape to use. Any grapes work well for this recipe. I successfully used seedless grapes, red grapes, purple grapes, black grapes, and green grapes. You name it. I tried them! The most important thing to remember is to try to use grapes that are in season for the most delicious sweet treat.
No matter what you do, wash the grapes well. As I mentioned above, grapes are typically grown using lots of pesticides. Buy organic if you can afford it, and no matter what, give them a thorough washing.
Dry them well. This recipe is so simple. There are only two things you need to remember. Wash your grapes well, and dry them well! Make sure you use an absorbent towel, and if you want to be extra safe, let them dry for 10-15 minutes before you put them in the freezer.
How to use frozen grapes
1. Frozen treat
Frozen grapes are a great snack to enjoy, especially on a hot summer day. They are sweet, healthy, and refreshing. The perfect finger foods to enjoy outside by the pool!
2. Perfect for smoothies
Frozen grapes are a great addition to morning smoothies. They’ll help thicken your smoothie, plus they will act as a natural sweetener too.
3. Instead of ice
You can use frozen grapes instead of ice cubes to cool down any summer drink. You can use them in water, ice tea, coconut water, cocktails, or even in red or white wine. The cool thing about using them instead of ice is that they won’t water down your drinks. And once you’re done drinking, you can eat them out of your glass. Double win!
4. Healthy sugar craving fix
If you want to lose weight and learn to eat less sugar but can’t live without a sweet snack, frozen grapes can be a great treat you can enjoy without feeling guilty. A perfect summer substitute for a fruity candy for both kids and adults!
5. To avoid waste!
If you bought too many grapes and are not sure what to do with them, freeze them! You’ll avoid wasting food, and you’ll make the most delicious treat!
Benefits of eating grapes
There are so many benefits to including grapes in your diet.
Grapes are packed with nutrients (especially vitamins C and K); they are high in antioxidants and fiber and can help decrease inflammation.
And yes, they contain a lot of sugar, but they have a low glycemic index, which means they can actually help decrease blood sugar levels. So keep eating grapes every time you are after something sweet.
Frozen grapes are the perfect summer snack! They’re incredibly refreshing, healthy, low-calorie, and rich in fiber and polyphenols. Grapes contain natural sugar, but they’re a low glycemic index (GI) food. This means that if you eat grapes, a single serving is unlikely to raise your blood sugar thanks to the fiber they contain.
Frozen grapes don’t go bad. In fact, you can keep them in the freezer for up to a year.
Frozen grapes are quite soft, thanks to the natural fructose they contain. So you don’t need to thaw them before eating them.
Why I love frozen grapes
- So easy!
- The perfect healthy snack for hot summer days.
- Better than candies on hot days!
- Wholesome, guilt-free treat.
- So easy, naturally vegan, and delicious.
More healthy snack ideas you’ll love
Here are some more wholesome snacks you can try:
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls
- Homemade Nutella Recipe
- Apple Nachos
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates
And for more healthy recipes, check out these healthy snack ideas.
If you try this frozen grapes recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Frozen Grapes (Healthy Summer Snack)
- 1.5 pounds fresh grapes
- Remove each grape from the stem and discard any spoiled or broken grapes. Wash them well under running cold water to remove as much residue as possible (see note 1).
- Dry them well using a kitchen towel or a paper towel (Note 2).
- Place the grapes in a Ziploc freezer bag or an airtight container, seal, and place in the freezer for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- When craving a sweet treat, remove some from the freezer and eat them straight away.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!