This article may contain links from our partners. We may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Please read our disclosure and how we make money.
This healthy apple nachos recipe with creamy peanut butter and crunchy chocolate nibs is the perfect 5-minute snack.
These apple nachos not only look incredible, but they are amazingly healthy and indulgent at the same time.
Fresh fruit, nut butter, chocolate = Fiber, protein, healthy fats.
What’s not to like?
And if you follow a specific diet, this super easy healthy snack is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and grain-free!
But why are they called nachos?
Well, they don’t have any gooey cheese topping, but if you spread them out nicely and drizzle them with tons of peanut butter, they do resemble nachos in a way.
Plus, it’s a much fancier name than apples with peanut butter. Don’t you think? Lol.
These healthy apple nachos require a few simple ingredients, but you can use your creativity to add a touch of personality to your snack.
- Apples: Any apple will work! So pick your favorite variety and color. I used some in-season read apples here, but granny smith, honey crisp, fuji, or any other apple will work just fine.
- Peanut butter: Here, I used smooth peanut butter, but crunchy works well too, although it’s a bit less spreadable. A great alternative is almond butter, especially if you make your own. Or any other nut butter works as well. And if you want to make your apple nachos extra decadent, try drizzling them with homemade Nutella. Pure heaven!
- Chocolate nibs: Chocolate nibs, also known as cocoa or cacao nibs, are extremely healthy. They are made with pure cacao beans, with no added fat or sugar. But you can also opt for dark chocolate chips if you like.
- Lemon: Adding some lemon juice on top of the apples will prevent them from browning. It’s not essential, but if you want to keep the apple nachos in the fridge for a day or two or want to prep them in advance (let’s say in the morning), it’s best to add it.
- A sprinkle of cinnamon: Because cinnamon and apples are perfect together. But if you don’t like cinnamon, omit it. Or you can add a bit of vanilla.
- Chopped nuts: Perfect as a top layer to add a bit of extra crunchiness. You can use hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts, or any other nuts. Or coconut flakes. You can also add a sprinkle of hemp seeds or flax seeds for an extra boost of protein and omega 3.
How to make apple nachos
Making apple nachos couldn’t be easier.
- Slice the apples. Wash the apples. Cut them into quarters and remove the core. Then slice them into thin slices. Squeeze half a lemon on a plate and coat the apple slices. This will keep them from browning. But you can skip this step if you are planning to eat the apple nachos straight away.
- Layer the apples. Place the apples in a nice circle on a plate.
- Warm peanut butter. You can warm 1/4 cup of peanut butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This will make it more spreadable and easy to drizzle on the apples. If you don’t have a microwave, place the peanut butter into a heatproof bowl and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie). Stir occasionally for a couple of minutes, until warm.
- Add toppings. Drizzle the peanut butter on top of the apples. Then sprinkle with cinnamon, chocolate nibs, and chopped nuts.
Can you meal prep apple nachos?
Yes, you can!
Just make sure to coat the apples with a good amount of lemon juice. You can store the apples in the fridge in a glass container like this one. They’ll keep for 2-3 days.
You can add toppings straight away, but I add them at the last minute as I prefer warm, decadent peanut butter on top.
FREE MEAL PLANNING PRINTABLE
Download this 1-page weekly printable meal planning template in 2 beautiful designs (floral and minimalist)! Plus a special offer just for you when you subscribe!
More healthy snacks recipes:
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls
- Healthy Oatcakes
- Hazelnut Chocolate Cookies (No Sugar)
- Breakfast Cookies (not just for breakfast…one of my favorite snacks!)
Or check out all my favorite Healthy Snack Ideas!
Healthy Apple Nachos With Peanut Butter And Chocolate Nibs
- 2 apples (pink ladies, granny smith, honey crisp, fuji, or any other type)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1 tbsp chocolate nibs (or chocolate chips)
- 1 tbs chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts, peanuts, almonds, etc.)
- The juice of half a lemon optional
- A sprinkle of cinnamon optional
- Wash the apples. Cut them into quarters and remove the core. Then slice them into thin slices. Squeeze half a lemon on a plate and coat the apple slices. This will keep them from browning. Skip this step if you are going to eat the apple nachos straight away.
- Layer the apples in a nice circle on a plate.
- Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This will make it more spreadable and easy to drizzle on the apples. If you don't have a microwave, simply place the peanut butter in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie), stirring occasionally, until warm.
- Drizzle the peanut butter on top of the apples, sprinkle with cinnamon, chocolate nibs, and chopped nuts. Enjoy!
- I used peanut butter, but a great alternative is almond butter or any other nut butter. And if you want to make your apple nachos extra decadent, try drizzling them with homemade Nutella. Pure heaven!
- If you don't have cholate nibs, you can use chocolate chips.
- You can store apple nachos in the fridge in a glass container like this for 2-3 days. Just make sure to coat the apples with a good amount of lemon juice.
If you try this apple nachos recipe, let me know in the comments!