This simple vegan avocado toast recipe is just the BEST, and you won’t be able to stop eating it. A crunchy slice of wholegrain seeded bread topped with creamy avocado, protein-packed crunchy chickpeas, and sundried tomatoes. Perfection!
Who said avocado toast?
I usually love a sweet breakfast, but nothing beats a good brunch with avocado toast when I wake up late at weekends.
And if it only takes 10 minutes to make, it goes into the pile of my things to cook!
I know smashed avocado toast is barely a recipe, but I swear this is super good, and I wanted to share it with you all!
I find the topping combinations to be so tasty!
This avocado on toast is perfect for breakfast, but it’s also a great weekend brunch or quick lunch when you have very little time to throw something together.
I also love it as a savory snack for when I am starving.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ripe avocado: I know this is the holy grail. It’s not easy to find the perfect avocado. Avocados are famous for being as hard as rocks one minute and overly ripen and brown the next. I find that buying nearly ripe avocados works best. I keep them on the kitchen counter for a day or two and then put them straight in the fridge when they are soft to the touch.
- Wholegrain seeded bread: I used crusty multigrain bread, but you can use whatever you like (including gluten-free bread).
- Lime juice (or lemon juice): This keeps the avocado from browning and gives it some much-needed acidity to contrast with its creaminess.
- Chickpeas: You can use cooked chickpeas out of a can or cook your own. Chickpeas are full of proteins and filling and add a bit of crunch.
- Sundried tomatoes: I love adding sundried tomatoes to my avocado toast. With their sweet-tart flavor, they work incredibly well with avocado.
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Black sesame seeds
- Pea shoots: I had some pea shoots salad at hand. You can use arugula, baby spinach, cilantro, or parsley as an alternative.
How to make vegan avocado toast
Honestly, this recipe couldn’t be simpler:
- Toast the bread: For this step, you can use a toaster or a skillet.
- Smash the avocado: Cut an avocado in half, remove the seeds, and spoon the inside into a bowl. Smash the avocado, add the lime juice or lemon juice, and season.
- Prepare the chickpeas: Cook the chickpeas for 5-10 minutes in a pan with olive oil and paprika, then add the chopped sundried tomatoes. As an alternative, you could also use these crunchy roasted chickpeas.
- Assemble: Top the bread with smashed avocado, chickpeas, greens, and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy! I love how the crunchiness of the bread works with the buttery avocado and the spicy chickpeas. Mouthwatering!
Other vegan avocado topping ideas
Another thing I love about avocado toast is how versatile it can be. You can use pretty much any toppings.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Simply smashed avocado and lemon juice
- Sliced veggies (cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, roasted peppers, radish)
- Roasted chickpeas
- A sprinkle of seeds of all kinds (ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- A teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- Crispy tofu or scrambled tofu
- Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, basil)
- Chili flakes
- A dash of balsamic vinegar
How to pick the perfect avocado
Yes, for the best vegan avocado toast, you need a perfectly creamy avocado.
I am sure you’ve cut into an avocado that you’ve been watching for a few days and found brown slime inside. Or, you’ve squeezed an avocado gently, which seemed perfectly soft, only to cut into it and find it as hard as a rock.
I’ve tried many methods to find the perfectly ripened avocado, but the real breakthrough came after reading this article.
It turns out that all you have to do is check the color under the little brown stem on top of the avocado. This gives you a little preview of what you will find inside.
- If the stem doesn’t come off easily: Your avocado is not ripe enough to eat.
- If it comes off easily and you find bright green underneath: You’ve got the perfect creamy avocado.
- Or if it comes off easily, but it’s brown underneath: Overripe avocado!
Why I love this Vegan Avocado Toast
- It’s easy to make, creamy, and buttery.
- The chickpeas give it a bit of crunch, a touch of spiciness, and lots of plant-based protein.
- It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, and lunch (when you can’t be bothered to cook). But it’s also a great snack!
Want more vegan breakfast ideas?
- Avocado Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Muffins
- Vanilla Chia Pudding
- Vegan Granola Bars
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
- Energizing Green Smoothie
- Overnight Oats
- Yogurt Parfait
- Breakfast Date Smoothie
Vegan Avocado Toast Recipe
- 4 slices multi-grain seeded bread - (or just pick your favorite)
- 1 avocado - (or 2 small ones)
- ½ lime - (or lemon – optional)
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika - (sweet or hot)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 sundried tomatoes in olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- a handful of pea shoots - (see notes)
- black sesame seeds
- Toast the bread until golden and crisp.
- Make a paste with the sundried tomatoes by chopping them as finely as possible.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the chickpeas, sprinkle with the smoked paprika, and stir. Salt to taste. After 5 minutes, add the sun-dried tomato paste and turn off the heat.
- Slice the avocado in half, smash it with a fork. Sprinkle with lime juice (or lemon juice) and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Top the bread with smashed avocado, warm chickpeas, pea shoots, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!