This article may contain links from our partners. We may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Please read our disclosure and how we make money.
These rich, stuffed dates are an overindulgent decadent snack, perfect for when you want to treat yourself to something a little special.
Sweet, creamy, and delicious they are perfect to give you an energy kick!
Stuffed dates? Yes, please!
When the afternoon slump kicks in, all we can really do is to give in and reach for a snack. And as long as we come prepared with something healthy and wholesome, our body will thank us for it.
That’s when stuffed dates come in! They are perfect for those days when we actually feel like we deserve something a bit extra special. Or when you’re craving something sweet after dinner.
And if you are looking for some other healthy snack ideas, you might want to try these delicious no-bake peanut butter balls, these incredibly good chocolate hazelnut cookies without added sugar, or these pretty apple nachos.
Where do stuffed dates come from?
Stuffed dates have their origins in the Levant region, a geographical area in the Middle East. They used to be served boiled and filled with meat, mint, and parsley on top of rice or bulgur wheat.
But the version we are going to prepare today is a much healthier, sweet alternative, lol!
Filled with creamy peanut butter and topped with wholesome ingredients, these stuffed dates are the perfect finger-food to prepare in advance and have at your disposal every time you feel like you need something sweet.
How to stuff dates
Stuffing dates couldn’t be easier!
First, you need to get the sweetest, soft, chewy, caramel-like Medjool dates. I can’t stress enough how important this is. The quality of the ingredients in any recipe is vital, especially when a recipe doesn’t require much processing, like this one.
Then, slice the dates lengthwise on one side, remove the pit, and create a little pocket.
Add a teaspoon of peanut butter to each date, and top with your favorite ingredients (make sure to use a 100% peanut brand, with no added oil).
And you are ready to eat them! Easy!
Check my favorite flavors below for inspiration!
5 Indulgent Stuffed Dates Recipes
1. Coconut and peanut butter dates
I don’t know about you, but I love coconut tropical taste. It reminds me of summer, and I think it works extremely well with the Middle East feel of Medjool dates. Simply fill the dates with creamy peanut butter and top with coconut flakes.
2. Chocolate and peanut butter nibs dates
Well, not much to say about chocolate, is there? And it can be extremely healthy if eaten in moderation and without too much extra sugar or cocoa butter. Top the dates with cacao nibs, which are 100% cacao without added sugar, but still delicious. Or go for high-quality dark chocolate chopped in little bites.
3. Freeze-dried raspberry and peanut butter dates
I know freeze-dried fruit is the ultimate indulgence. But dried raspberries look so incredibly vibrant, and I love their sweet yet slightly tart taste. They complement the sweetness of the dates so well.
4. Walnut and peanut butter dates
Walnuts contain tons of healthy fats and are rich in omega-3. Perfect for an afternoon boost of energy. Simply add them on top of the peanut butter to make a crunchy version of these delicious stuffed dates.
5. Pistachio and peanut butter dates
High in antioxidants, pistachios are one of my favorite nuts, although they can be expensive. You can opt for the unsalted version like I did. If you fancy a bit of a sweet ‘n’ salty stuffed date, use salted pistachios instead.
Other stuffed dates ideas
Other sweet ideas:
- You can use any nut butter: almond butter, cashew nut butter, tahini for a bittersweet taste, or even homemade Nutella for extra indulgence.
- If you are going to eat the stuffed dates straight away, using a plant-based yogurt is a great alternative to peanut butter, especially in the summer. It’ll give your dates a fresh twist, and it works really well with the chewy texture of the dates.
- You can use any dry fruit for toppings, but you can also experiment with fresh fruit or seeds. I especially like adding some sesame seeds on top of dates stuffed with coconut yogurt.
Sweet ‘N’ Salty ideas:
- Some people swear by filling them with goat cheese. If you are not on a vegan diet, you can give it a try.
- Cream cheese (or a vegan cream cheese version) works well, and so does ricotta.
Can you prepare stuffed dates ahead of time?
You can prepare these dates ahead of time and store them in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
They’ll actually keep for much longer, but they might start to release some of the peanut butter oil. This isn’t really a problem, and it’s completely natural. But they might not look as pretty.
More delicious snack ideas to satisfy your cravings:
- Apple Nachos
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies (No-Sugar)
- Healthy Oatcakes With Rosemary
Stuffed Dates: 5 Indulgent Recipes
- 6 Medjool dates
- 6-8 tsp peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- coconut flakes
- chocolate nibs (or dark chocolate, or chocolate chips)
- freeze-dried raspberries
- chopped pistachios
- With the help of a knife, make a lengthwise slit into each date and remove the pits.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each date with peanut butter. You might need a bit more or a bit less, depending on your dates' size.
- Top each date with a sprinkle of the topping of your choice: coconut flakes, whole walnuts, chocolate nibs, freeze-dried raspberries, or chopped pistachios.
- Alternative ideas: Instead of peanut butter, you can use almond butter, cashew nut butter, hazelnut butter, or tahini for a bittersweet taste, or even homemade Nutella for extra indulgence. Or a plant-based yogurt is a great alternative in the summer.
- How to store stuffed dates: You can prepare these dates ahead of time, and store them in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
Have you tried making these stuffed dates? Let me know what you think in the comments!
OTHER DELICIOUS HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS: