These healthy sandwich recipes are packed with wholesome ingredients for the ultimate feel-good meal. From veggie-filled delights to protein-packed powerhouses, these tasty sammies will make you feel like a kitchen superhero in no time. Let’s get sandwiching!
If you’re sick of cold cuts and simple cheese sandwiches, you might be looking for some fresh inspiration.
And luckily for you, I’ve found an incredible range of healthy sandwiches that are unique and super nutritious!
These mouthwateringly delicious sandwiches are the perfect alternative to salads or soups.
But before we dive in, here are a few simple tricks to transform any sandwich into a healthy and tasty meal filled with goodness.
How Can You Make a Healthy Sandwich?
1. Use whole grain bread: Using whole grains instead of processed white bread is an easy way to get more fiber and nutrients in your diet. Also, make sure to opt for unprocessed bread – read the labels and opt for artisanal bread that uses minimal ingredients.
2. Use wholesome ingredients: If you’re making a healthy lunch, you’ll want to use wholesome ingredients like fresh veggies and lean protein. Replace store-bought mayo with homemade or pick healthier spreads like hummus or Greek yogurt for fewer calories and less saturated fats.
3. Opt for healthy protein sources: Ingredients like pasture-raised grilled chicken and fresh wild fish are awesome choices for meat eaters instead of processed meat. And if you’re vegetarian or vegan, tofu, chickpeas, or any other legumes will always set you up for success.
4. Add plenty of vegetables: Whatever healthy sandwich recipes you try, always throw on fresh veggies like salad leaves, carrots, cucumbers, and arugula to spice things up and add much-needed fiber and nutrients.
If you’re looking to build a sandwich that’s both healthy and satisfying, remember to include some key ingredients.
Think whole grain bread for some wholesome fiber, lean protein like turkey, grilled chicken, or tofu, and plenty of veggies for some crunch and extra nutrition.
And don’t forget to go easy on toppings high in saturated fats like mayo or cheese!
By keeping these tips in mind, you can create a delicious and nourishing sandwich that your body will thank you for.
Yes, whole grain bread is a better option as it’s packed with fiber, which can help you feel full and satisfied. Plus, it contains more essential nutrients compared to white bread.
Vegetarian sandwiches can be healthier than meat-based sandwiches because they tend to be lower in saturated fat and higher in fiber and nutrients.
But you need to make sure to use wholesome ingredients cooked in a healthy way.
A veggie sandwich filled with chips and cheese won’t be healthier than a good sandwich made with grilled chicken, tomato slices, and some salad leaves!
Try swapping ingredients like mayonnaise or bacon for healthier options like hummus, mustard, or avocado.
Also, consider using plenty of flavorful herbs and spices instead of too much salt.
Of course, you can. Just be mindful of the ingredients you use and opt for whole-grain bread, wholesome protein sources, and plenty of vegetables.
More Easy Lunch Ideas
- 25 Best Sandwich Recipes For A Mouthwatering Lunch Break
- 25 Best Vegan Sandwich Recipes Perfect For Lunch
- 30+ Healthy Lunch Ideas
- 6 Healthy Bento Box Lunch Ideas
- 5 Healthy Lunch Box Ideas For Adults
If you try any of these healthy sandwich recipes, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Healthy Sandwich Recipes: Chickpea Salad
For the chickpea salad:
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices bread
- julienne carrots
- Add all the chickpea salad ingredients in a bowl and mash with a masher or a fork until you reach a creamy consistency (alternatively, place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined, making sure not to puree the filling too much). Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Assemble the chickpea salad sandwich: spread the chickpea salad on the bottom slice, top it with the veggies, season with a bit of salt and pepper, press with the other slice of bread, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!