This simple chickpea salad sandwich is the perfect easy lunch recipe—soft seeded bread, creamy chickpea filling, and plenty of crunchy veggies.
This sandwich is super-healthy but also incredibly satisfying. And you can make the filling in advance and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days, making it even easier to prep.
Chickpeas are, by far, one of my favorite legumes. They are so versatile and easy to cook with.
But did you know that chickpeas also make the perfect filling for sandwiches?
Chickpea salad sandwiches were born as a vegan alternative to tuna salad or egg salad sandwiches.
But no matter what you compare them to, they are incredibly delicious in their own right.
Also, check these 25 Healthy Sandwich Recipes Perfect For Lunch
How To Make A Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This creamy chickpea salad sandwich is one of my favorite vegan sandwiches.
All you’ll need are a few simple ingredients and plenty of veggies to elevate this sandwich from basic to truly special.
It’s perfect for a quick lunch with a nice side salad or a picnic with family and friends.
1. Gather the ingredients
For the actual chickpea salad, you’ll need the following:
- Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans): You can cook your own, starting from dry chickpeas, or use canned chickpeas.
- Red onion: With its mild flavor, it’s perfect for this sandwich.
- Dijon mustard: It gives a tangy, sharp flavor to the filling.
- Fresh parsley: I love the flavor of fresh chopped parsley with chickpeas. Fresh dill is a great alternative.
- Capers: For a bit of tanginess and saltiness. I used capers in brine, but capers in salt work too. You can substitute capers with dill pickles.
- Tahini: Many chickpea salad sandwich recipes use vegan mayo for creaminess, but I find that tahini works incredibly well with chickpeas. Of course, feel free to substitute it with mayo, or some hummus, if you prefer.
- Salt and pepper
For the sandwich:
- Bread slices: I used seeded sourdough bread, but you can use any bread you like, including gluten-free bread.
- Julienne carrots
But you can use any veggies you like. A few others I used in the past are tomato slices, red peppers, and avocado, to name a few.
2. Make the filling
There are two ways to make the filling:
- Add all the chickpea salad ingredients to a bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork until you reach a creamy consistency.
- Or place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined, making sure not to puree the filling too much.
Either option work great. The first one requires less clean-up, but it takes a bit more time. The second is quicker and easier, but then you’ll have the food processor to clean.
3. Assemble the sandwich
Spread the smashed chickpea salad on the bottom slice, top it with the veggies, season with a bit of salt and pepper, top with the other slice of bread, press well, and enjoy!
How to meal prep this sandwich
Who doesn’t love a bit of meal prepping? And this sandwich is perfect for that. I wouldn’t necessarily assemble the sandwich ahead of time, but you can easily prepare the filling and store it in the fridge in an airtight container ready to be used.
It will keep for 3 days. When you are ready to eat, assemble your sandwich. You can also wash and chop the veggies in advance and keep those in the fridge too!
Why I love this chickpea salad sandwich:
- It’s quick and easy to make
- Wholesome ingredients
- It can be made gluten-free
- Delicious flavors
- Perfect for a quick, healthy lunch!
More sandwich recipes you’ll love
And for more veggie sandwiches, check out my collection of Healthy Vegan Sandwiches.
If you try this chickpea sandwich recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
For the chickpea salad:
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices bread
- julienne carrots
- Add all the chickpea salad ingredients in a bowl and mash with a masher or a fork until you reach a creamy consistency (alternatively, place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined, making sure not to puree the filling too much). Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Assemble the chickpea salad sandwich: spread the chickpea salad on the bottom slice, top it with the veggies, season with a bit of salt and pepper, press with the other slice of bread, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!