Are you looking for an epic way to use your perfectly ripe avocado? Make an incredible avocado sandwich! This vegetarian sandwich is creamy, filled with delicious veggies, and bursting with flavors.
Made with layers of lemony hummus, buttery avocado, red onions, a combination of fresh tomatoes topped with slowly roasted sundried tomatoes, and lots of greens. It’s the perfect portable food for your lunch on the go!
How To Make An Avocado Sandwich
Has anyone said avocado sandwich?
This sandwich is one of my favorite lunch recipes when I am in a hurry or can’t be bothered to cook anything for lunch. It’s especially good during hot spring and summer days, as you don’t even have to turn the stove on.
To make the best avocado sandwich, you need to select the top ingredients. Because let’s face it, this is a simple recipe, and perfection comes from what you use to make it.
1. Choose the right avocado
Yes, you need a perfectly creamy avocado.
Isn’t it awful when you cut into an avocado that you’ve been watching for a few days and find a brown slime inside? Or, on the other hand, when the avocado seems soft from the outside, but as soon as you cut into it, it’s actually hard as a rock?
I’ve tried many methods to pinpoint ripe avocados, including making sure the skin isn’t too dark or squeezing the avocado gently in my hand to check if it’s just slightly soft but not too much.
But the real breakthrough came after reading this article.
It turns out that all you have to do is check the color under the little brown stem on top of the avocado. This gives you a little preview of what you are going to find inside.
- If the stem doesn’t come off easily: Your avocado is not ripe enough to eat.
- If it comes off easily and you find bright green underneath: You’ve got the perfect creamy avocado in your hands.
- Or if it comes off easily, but it’s brown underneath: Overripe avocado!
I simply slice my avocado in this sandwich, but you can, of course, go for mashed avocado.
Great! Now that you know how to pick your avocado let’s move onto the next most important ingredient: bread!
2. Choose the right bread
I would say it’s up to you to pick your favorite slice of bread. But make sure it’s good bread. Ideally, a freshly baked bread from your favorite bakery. And of course, you can substitute with gluten-free bread if needed.
I used a flavorful whole grains bread for this sandwich, as it’s packed with fiber and more protein. Just cut it into thick or thin slices.
Then, you can either toast your bread or eat it as it is.
3. Everything else
- Red onion: Milder than white onions, they are perfect for any sandwich and give a bit of crunchiness.
- Fresh tomato slices: Make sure to pick ripe tomatoes. I try to buy my at the local farmer market when in season, as they taste so much better than the one you can buy in the supermarket.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: The sweet-tart flavor of sun-dried tomatoes adds a much-needed contrast to the creaminess of the avocado.
- Hummus: Not only hummus goes incredibly well with avocado, but it’s a great way to add protein and make this healthy veggie sandwich a balanced meal. Yes, you can use store-bought hummus, but it’s much better to make your own in 5 minutes with my easy hummus recipe. I promise, it takes no time, and you won’t have to peel the chickpeas one by one!
- Greens: I used a combination of arugula and microgreens, but you can use whatever type of greens you have in your fridge.
- Lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
Other filling ideas
- You can use spring or green onions instead of red onions. They’ll still be mild in flavor and delicious.
- If you don’t have sun-dried tomatoes handy, roasted red peppers work incredibly well too.
- You can use lime juice instead of lemon.
- Any fresh produce in season or in your summer garden goes well in this sandwich: crunchy veggies like red bell pepper or cucumber slices. Or sliced carrots!
Why I love this avocado sandwich
- It’s quick and easy to make
- It can be made gluten-free
- Perfect for hot summer days!
More sandwich recipes you’ll love
- Caprese Sandwich
- Breakfast Frittata Sandwich
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Smoked Tofu Ciabatta Sandwich
- Vegan Avocado Toast
And for more veggie sandwiches, check out my collection of Healthy Vegan Sandwiches.
If you try this easy avocado sandwich recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Avocado Sandwich (Creamy And Full Of Veggies)
- Pit and peel half of the avocado, slice it and cover it with lemon juice.
- Top the bread with the hummus, place the avocado sliced on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes, the sun-dried tomatoes cut into small pieces, red onion, and greens. Then finish it off by topping with the remaining bread slice.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!