This smoked tofu ciabatta sandwich is made with some flavorful ingredients that go perfectly together. Smokey, crispy tofu, a sweet and tangy tahini sauce, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, and peppery arugula. Every mouthful is pure joy!
Smoked Tofu Sandwich
I must admit that I am a bit obsessed with sandwiches later!
They are quick to make, you can fill them with wholesome, nutritious ingredients, and if you pick the right combination of flavors, they are incredibly tasty. What’s not to like?
This smoked tofu sandwich is by far one of my favorites to make for lunch. It’s seriously easy, and it requires only minor prep.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Smoked tofu: Well, this is the star of the show. Smoked tofu is simply tofu often smoked in tea leaves or beechwood, giving it a light brown color and a smokey flavor. It reminds me of the taste of smoked Italian scamorza (one can only dream!). But honestly, it’s delicious!
- Bread: Of course! It’s a sandwich! I used ciabatta bread because its soft, chewy texture works incredibly well with any filling. But you can use your favorite bread! Including gluten-free bread.
- Avocado: Make sure it’s ripe and creamy. Check out my tips on how to find the perfectly ripe avocado in this recipe.
- Tahini sauce: This sauce it’s incredibly easy to make, and you won’t even need a food processor or blender. You just need to mix two tablespoons of tahini with the juice of half an orange and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper in a small bowl. The sweetness of the orange is perfect to contrast the slight bitterness of tahini.
- Tomatoes: Pick juicy, sweet tomatoes.
- Arugula: With its peppery flavor, it’ll give a spicy kick to your sandwich!
TIP: If you can’t find smoked tofu in your area, you can simply marinate standard tofu with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes, and then pan fry.
Other filling ideas
- You can add red onions for a bit more crunchiness.
- Any greens will work. I sometimes make this with lettuce or baby spinach for a kick of iron.
- Roasted red peppers, cucumbers, or carrot sticks are another great addition.
Why I love this smoked tofu sandwich:
- It’s quick and easy to make
- It can be made gluten-free
- The perfect filling, easy lunch!
More lunch recipes you’ll love
- Avocado Sandwich
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- One-Pan Mexican Quinoa
- Mediterranean Lunch Box
- 5 Lunch Box Ideas
- Vegan Avocado Toast
If you try this smoked tofu sandwich recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Smoked Tofu Ciabatta Sandwich
For the smoked tofu sandwich:
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3.5 oz smoked tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 avocado - sliced
- 1 to tomato - sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- Heat a pan on high heat. When it's hot, add the olive oil. Then add the tofu and cook, flipping from time to time until it's crispy and golden. Season with a tablespoon of soy sauce, and set aside on a plate.
- While the tofu is cooking, prepare the tahini sauce. In a small bowl, mix the tahini, orange juice, salt, and pepper until you reach a fluffy, creamy consistency. If needed, add more orange juice or water one tablespoon at a time.
- Slice the bread, then smear each piece with the tahini sauce. On the bottom piece, add the avocado slices, the crispy smoked tofu, tomato slices, and arugula. Then finish it off by topping with the remaining bread.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!