How about starting your day with a date smoothie? This fiber-rich smoothie is so sweet and creamy that it tastes like an indulgent dessert! Juicy and plump Medjool dates bring a rich, caramel-like flavor to a simple smoothie made with plant-based milk, nut butter, and chia seeds.
If you’re new to date smoothies, you’re in for a real treat.
These step-by-step instructions will teach you to make a sweet yet refined sugar-free smoothie with Medjool dates.
Dates are native to North Africa and the Middle East and grow on palm trees. Medjool dates, in particular, are large and plump with a rich, caramel-like flavor. They’re often referred to as nature’s candy for their sweetness.
Dates are a good source of fiber and contain vitamins and minerals like potassium and magnesium. They’re also a natural source of sugar.
This is why I love making cookies and brownies that use dates instead of refined sugar. You get the sweetness, plus all the goodness that comes from using whole fruit.
Packed with fiber and plant-based protein, this date smoothie is the perfect breakfast. It’ll keep you full until lunchtime, and your sweet tooth will thank you for it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe yields 1 serving, but feel free to double or triple the ingredients to enjoy with others.
First, gather these simple ingredients:
- Medjool dates: These soft dates are sweet with a caramel taste and a pleasantly chewy texture. They can be found at most grocery stores in the dried fruit aisle. They add natural sweetness and texture to the smoothie, along with other vitamins and minerals.
- Unsweetened almond milk & coconut milk: You can use one or the other if you like, but using both types of non-dairy milk makes date smoothies extra creamy. You can also use oat milk or cashew milk here.
- Raisins: To boost insoluble fiber and another layer of natural sweetness.
- Almond butter: Try my homemade almond butter, or use your favorite creamy almond butter or peanut butter for healthy fats, thickness, and texture.
- Chia seeds: Help create a thicker consistency while adding fiber and healthy omega-3 fats.
- Cinnamon: For a touch of spicy, warming flavor.
How To Make Date Smoothie
- Soak the dates: If your dates are on the firmer side (or couldn’t find Medjool dates), try soaking them in warm water for 15 minutes. This will help them blend more easily. Drain and discard the date-soaking water.
- Pit the dates: If your Medjool dates contain pits, be sure to remove them. Slice the date lengthwise and pry the pit out with your fingers.
- Add ingredients to a blender: Add the almond milk and coconut milk to your high-speed blender, followed by the dates, raisins, almond butter, chia seeds, and cinnamon.
- Blend date smoothie: Blend the ingredients on high speed until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the blender to make sure everything is blended thoroughly. Last but not least, pour your date smoothie into a tall glass and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Use a high-speed blender. For best results, you’ll need a high-speed blender to properly break down the dates, especially if they are not soaked.
- Make a high-protein date smoothie. Add a scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder, and sip on your date smoothie as a pre-workout snack. Or post-workout to fuel your muscle recovery.
- Use other dried fruit. Instead of raisins, try using dried apricots, figs, or even prunes for a date smoothie with a different flavor profile.
- Swap the nut butter. If you’re not a fan of almond butter or peanut butter, try using tahini or cashew butter instead.
- Blend with dairy milk. If dairy is no concern, swap the nut milk for whole milk.
- Omit the chia seeds. Just know the smoothie won’t thicken as nicely.
- Add hemp seeds or flaxseeds. These seeds also absorb moisture and help thicken smoothies. They also add healthy fats and fiber!
- Make a frozen date shake! Toss frozen bananas in, and blend with the rest of the ingredients until smooth. You can also add a cup of ice.
- Add additional frozen fruit. Other frozen fruits can be blended into this smoothie for flavor, including strawberries, raspberries, and mangoes.
- Make it chocolaty: Add a ½ tablespoon of cocoa powder!
- Make a date smoothie bowl! Enjoy your delicious smoothie from a bowl topped with shredded coconuts, cacao nibs, chopped almonds, dark chocolate chips, and crunchy granola.
Why I Love This Date Smoothie
- Sweet, creamy, and delicious.
- Healthy & wholesome, with no added sugar!
- Made with gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan ingredients.
- Quick and easy.
- Perfect fiber-rich healthy breakfast or perfect as a satisfying afternoon snack.
- Nutritious as an after-dinner dessert.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Energizing Green Smoothie
- Healthy Berry Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Matcha Smoothie
- Green Detox Smoothie
If you try this date smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Breakfast Date Smoothie
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor, blend until smooth, and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!