Carrot cake is a classic flavor that we all adore. The buttery, cream cheese frosting and the moist, flavorful cake are so delicious you’ll never want to stop eating it! But what if I told you there was a way to enjoy your favorite cake in drinkable form? A carrot cake smoothie! With a few simple ingredients (and no banana!), this recipe will have your taste buds bouncing with joy as they indulge in one of your favorite flavors guilt-free!
No matter what time of the year it is, we all need a little bit of love from time to time. And this carrot cake smoothie is the perfect drink for keeping your energy up and your body nourished!
This smoothie recipe has been created with whole, healthy ingredients that will help you feel rejuvenated and strong when you’re feeling under the weather or you simply need an afternoon pick-me-up!
Plus, if you are one of the few banana haters out there, this is for you: no banana to make this smoothie creamy and sweet.
Let’s get started!
Carrot Cake Smoothie
Trust me: this creamy carrot cake smoothie contains the delicious carrot cake flavor in liquid form. You won’t believe how creamy, spicy, and close to a carrot cake it is. But with the added health benefits that come from wholesome, nourishing ingredients.
Ingredients you’ll need
So you’ll need:
- Raw carrots: Of course! You will need at least a couple of large carrots. Carrots are rich in fiber and can be pretty hard to blend to a smooth consistency, so chop them into small pieces (or even grate them) if your blender isn’t very powerful.
- Apple: Make sure to use a sweet variety, like a Fuji. Pink Lady, or Red Delicious. Keep the skin on for added fiber.
- Orange: It helps to give a bit of tartness to the smoothie and provides an extra boost in vitamin C.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg are vital for making this carrot cake smoothie taste like the real thing! (Just don’t go overboard with them.) I usually start with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a good old pinch of grated nutmeg, and I then taste my smoothie after blending it and add some more if needed.
- Raw unsalted cashew nuts: Remember how this smoothie doesn’t have bananas? But we still want creaminess! A few of these will do the trick. As an alternative, you can use cashew nut butter or even almond butter.
- Date syrup: This will add the much-needed sweetness. Make sure to use one made with 100% dates (like this one), nothing else. Otherwise, you can substitute it for whole Medjool dates (or maple syrup).
- Almond milk: You can also use oat milk, soy milk, rice milk, or coconut milk!
- Ginger: A magic ingredient. Not only will it help your digestion, but it also helps to relieve nausea and headaches. And it will add an extra layer of warmth and flavor. You can either use fresh ginger or ginger powder.
If you love bananas, you can add a fresh or frozen banana to this smoothie and remove the apple and date syrup.
I topped my smoothie with some coconut flakes and some walnuts (to get as close as possible to the typical frosty carrot cake look).
But you can also top with:
- Roasted, unsalted cashews or almonds (or both!)
- Finely grated carrot for extra flavor and nutrients; you could also sprinkle with some cinnamon powder.
- A dollop of yogurt. You can use dairy-free yogurt to keep this smoothie vegan or use Greek yogurt if you like.
Additional nutrition power-house
I kept this recipe simple. But when I feel I need an extra boost in energy, these are some of my top choices:
- Flax seeds: Add them to your smoothie for an extra dose of omega-three fatty acids.
- Chia seeds: They are a natural source of energy, packed with protein and fiber.
- Hemp seeds: A great way to add a boost of protein to your smoothie!
And remember to mix these up! Each one has its own nutrition properties that can make a difference in your day.
How to make carrot cake smoothie
- Wash the carrots and peel them. Cut them into chunks. Carrots can be quite hard, so if your blender isn’t very powerful, you can cut them into small pieces or grate them to make sure your smoothie will end up creamy and, dare I say, smooth.
- Then wash the apple, remove the skin from the orange, and cut both into pieces.
- Start by adding your liquid to a high-speed blender. Then add the carrots, apple, orange, cashew nuts, date syrup (or whole dates), and spices.
- If you want to add any extras, now is the time! I often add one tablespoon of flax seeds or chia seeds at this point.
- Blend until smooth, and enjoy your carrot cake smoothie!
Tips for making smoothies ahead of time
- Prepare all the ingredients, put them into a reusable, airtight bag (like these!) except for the liquid, and freeze them for up to 3 months. Once you are ready to drink your smoothie, remove the bag from the freezer, let it thaw for 10-20 minutes, then just blend it with your liquid of choice.
- You can also blend the smoothie first and then store it in the freezer for up to a month in a mason jar. When ready to drink it, place your jar in the fridge or at room temperature for a few hours to thaw, and give it a good shake before drinking it.
Why I love this carrot cake smoothie
- It’s creamy
- Perfect for a light breakfast
This recipe for a carrot cake smoothie is so easy and delicious that you’ll want to make it all the time. It tastes like a scrumptious slice of carrot cake, but it’s actually packed with vitamins and minerals that will keep your body energized!
More healthy smoothie recipes to try
And if you liked this carrot cake smoothie, then make sure to try these:
If you try this carrot cake smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Carrot Cake Smoothie (No Banana)
- Add the almond milk to a high-speed blender. Then add the carrot chunks, apple, orange, cashews, date syrup (or dates), cinnamon, and nutmeg and blend until smooth.
- This recipe makes a creamy, thick smoothie. Add more milk if you like your smoothie thinner.
- Taste to check the level of spices, and add more cinnamon and nutmeg if needed.
- Serve topped with coconut flakes and walnuts.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!