If you struggle to get your daily dose of goodness, this green detox smoothie is here to save the day. It’s loaded with good-for-you ingredients, and it tastes so dreamy you won’t believe it’s full of veggies!
Feel like you could do with a health kick for breakfast?
Let me introduce you to my favorite pick-me-up. My go-to Green Detox Smoothie.
This green marvel isn’t just any ordinary smoothie. It’s brimming with nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties to help your body hit that much-needed refresh button.
Plus, it’s so easy to whip up in a high-speed blender!
Trust me, keeping your New Year’s Resolutions has never tasted quite this good.
Detox Smoothie vs. Detox Juice
Why do I lean towards detox smoothies more than detox juices?
Although detox juices have lots of benefits, I think that smoothies offer a more satisfying and balanced approach.
The reason is quite simple: fiber.
With green smoothies, you get the whole package – the goodness of the fruits and veggies in their entirety.
They’re a bit like the superhero of drinks, ensuring you reap the benefits of fiber, which helps you feel fuller longer but also helps to stabilize your blood sugar levels.
Also check 25 Best Detox Smoothie Recipes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Spinach: Leafy greens fill this smoothie with plenty of vitamins and iron.
- Coconut water: You can also plain water or plant-based milk if you’d like something slightly creamier (almond milk is great!). I use coconut water for an extra dose of potassium (but make sure it’s 100% natural and unsweetened).
- Frozen banana: Using frozen, ripe bananas instead of fresh ones gives the smoothie an amazingly thick, ice cream-like consistency. Just remember to peel them first!
- Green apple: An easy way to get Vitamin A and Vitamin C into your day! Plus, green apples add a slight tangy sweetness to this healthy smoothie recipe that’s just delicious.
- Cucumber: To add extra hydration and vitamins to your drink!
- Lemon: For a hit of bright and zingy flavor and extra vitamin C.
- Fresh ginger (optional): You don’t need to use this, but I love adding a hint of spice!
How to Make the Best Detox Smoothie
- Add the ingredients to your blender: Throw the spinach, coconut water, banana, apple, cucumber, lemon, and ginger into your blender. Blend on high until everything is smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an overly powerful blender, blend the spinach and ginger with the coconut water until it’s a smooth green liquid. You can then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Taste test: Taste your smoothie and adjust the ingredients as necessary. You can add a bit of honey or agave nectar to sweeten things up or add more banana to thicken it up! If you have the opposite problem, you can thin the smoothie slightly by adding a touch more water, coconut milk, or plant milk.
- Serve: Pour your smoothie into a glass, serve, and enjoy!
How to Meal Prep
If you don’t have much time in the morning, it’s a great idea to meal prep this recipe by making smoothie packs.
To do that, you can simply add your fruits, veggies, and seeds into individual reusable freezer bags (or containers!) and freeze them.
So, you can just dump the contents of each bag into the blender, add your liquid of choice, and blend!
Can I store leftovers?
You can keep any leftover detox smoothie in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a day.
Before drinking, give it a quick stir or blend, as the ingredients may settle over time, and the fiber tends to rise to the top.
- You can add virtually any nutrient-dense fruit to this recipe to give it an extra boost. I love using berries and peaches to mellow things out slightly. But tropical fruits like kiwi fruit, fresh pineapple chunks, and mangoes are all great for adding natural sweetness.
- If you don’t feel like using spinach, just choose another leafy green vegetable like kale, chard, watercress, or collard greens! And even zucchini work well.
- Want more healthy fats in your life? Add a spoonful of peanut butter, hemp seeds, flax seeds, or chia seeds.
Green detox smoothies are filled with nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber from fruits and vegetables. They are great for adding more veggies and fruit into your diet and help you include more good-for-you ingredients in your daily routine.
A daily smoothie is a great way to start your day. However, it’s essential to balance it with other meals throughout the day to make sure you’re getting all the nutrients you need.
Lots of people enjoy a detox smoothie as a morning ritual.
But truly, you can have them at any time of day when you feel you’d like a nutritious and refreshing drink.
Detox smoothies alone won’t trigger weight loss.
But if you combine them with a well-rounded, wholesome diet and some physical activity, they can definitely support your goals.
Yes, as long as they contain a balanced mix of nutrients – carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats.
So, add a scoop of almond butter and hemp seeds or Greek yogurt to balance this smoothie if you want to use it as a meal.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Breakfast Date Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Healthy Berry Smoothie
- Energizing Green Smoothie
- Matcha Smoothie
If you try this green detox smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Green Detox Smoothie (That Tastes Good!)
- 2 cups spinach - firmly packed
- 1 cup coconut water - or plain water
- 1 ripe frozen banana - (see note 1)
- 1 green apple - cored
- ½ cucumber
- ½ lemon - peel removed (see note 2)
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger - optional for added spice and detox benefits
- Add the spinach, coconut water, banana, apple, cucumber, lemon, and ginger to your blender (see note 3). Blend on high until everything is smooth and creamy (see note 4).
- Taste and adjust if necessary. If you need it sweeter, you could add a little honey, agave nectar, or another ripe banana. If it’s too thick, add a little more almond milk or water.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!