If you’re looking for a quick and healthy dinner idea, this 15-minute vegetable stir fry noodles recipe is for you. Use your favorite noodles and colorful vegetables to create a well-rounded meal that is perfect for busy weeknights and is packed full of nutrients and flavor.
This is one of my favorite meals when I am after a fast and flavorful meal that won’t have me chained to the stove all evening!
With a rainbow of veggies and a savory sauce full of umami flavor, this dish is a true crowd-pleaser. And the best part? You can have it on the table in just 15 minutes!
What is a stir fry?
A stir fry is a popular Asian dish that combines vegetables or protein with a sauce, typically made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar.
You usually need to cook the ingredients over high heat until they are crispy or tender to bring out all of their flavors.
What I love about stir fries is that they can easily be customized using whatever you have on hand. You can use your favorite vegetables, including carrots, peppers, onions, and more!
Also check 25 Easy Vegan Noodle Recipes Perfect For Dinner!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the stir fry sauce
- Water: Helps thin out the sauce to distribute the flavors evenly.
- Soy sauce: Adds a salty umami flavor to the stir fry sauce that is classic in Asian cooking. For a gluten-free stir fry sauce, be sure to use tamari instead.
- Rice vinegar: Adds acidity and balances the homemade sauce.
- Maple syrup: Helps sweeten up the sauce using a natural sweetener. You can also use raw brown sugar or coconut sugar as a replacement.
- Grated ginger: Added to create a layer of natural spicy flavor that is warming and also helps with digestion.
- Chili flakes: Adds a spicy kick to the stir fry sauce. You can also use fresh red chili peppers or a tablespoon of sriracha sauce.
For the noodles and vegetables
- Uncooked noodles: You can use any type of Asian noodles you prefer: udon, egg noodles, ramen noodles, lo mein, or rice noodles. Whichever noodles you use, make sure you cook them according to the directions on their individual package.
- Sesame oil: Adds a layer of toasted sesame flavor throughout the dish, which is a staple flavor in Asian cooking.
- Garlic and green onion: Most stir fry recipes include fresh garlic and green or white onion. They infuse the dish with a classic flavor that pairs well with the stir-fry sauce.
- Fresh stir fry vegetables: Here’s where you can get creative! For this recipe, we use thinly sliced carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli. You can use any vegetables you have on hand: bok choy, bean sprouts, snap peas, snow peas, or green beans. Make it a summer dinner with zucchini and green beans or a fall recipe with some butternut squash slices.
- Garnish: Top with crunchy sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
How To Make Vegetable Stir Fry Noodles
- Assemble the stir fry sauce: Add all of the stir fry ingredients to a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until all of the ingredients are fully combined and emulsified. Set aside while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Prepare the stir fry vegetables: Thoroughly wash all of your stir fry vegetables, then chop them into thin strips or pieces that are similar in size.
- Cook the vegetables: Add sesame oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over high heat until it becomes shiny and smooth. Add the garlic and green onions and sauté for about 30 seconds before adding the chopped vegetables. Sauté for 5 minutes, frequently stirring, until the vegetables become softened.
- Cook the noodles: While you’re cooking the vegetables, soak your noodles of choice in hot water and cook according to the package directions.
- Stir fry the noodles: Add the drained noodles to the wok or skillet along with the cooked vegetables and pour in the stir fry sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, making sure to toss everything together to fully combine.
- Garnish and serve: Remove the noodles from the pan with tongs and add to noodle bowls or a large serving dish. Garnish with additional green onions or sesame seeds and serve while hot.
How to Make Ahead and Store
To make ahead: Prepare the stir fry sauce and vegetables according to the recipe, but do not cook the noodles. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to eat, add cooked noodles and continue cooking according to instructions.
How to store: Stir fry noodles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. The vegetables will become softer over time.
To reheat: You can reheat by adding the cooked noodles and vegetables into a skillet or wok over medium heat with a little bit of water to moisten. Heat through to your desired temperature.
To freeze: Add cooked and cooled individual portions to freezer-safe containers and remove as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating and serving.
Avoid burning: If needed, add a splash of water or vegetable broth while stir-frying the noodles to avoid burning.
For darker noodles: If you like your noodles darker or more seasoned, add extra soy sauce while they are being cooked in the skillet.
Same size vegetables: Make sure you chop the vegetables all roughly the same size to ensure they cook evenly and quickly.
Customize with your favorite flavors: This recipe is easily customizable to fit your tastes. Add in any of your favorite sauces or seasonings – like sriracha, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, or additional sesame oil. I also love a dash of lime juice for extra acidity.
Spice it up: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, or sriracha to the finished dish.
Why I Love These Vegetable Stir Fry Noodles
- They’re suitable for a vegan and vegetarian lifestyle.
- Dinner is on the table in just 15 minutes.
- You can customize the dish by adding your favorite vegetables or noodles.
- This dish can be made in a large batch for meal prep.
Other Asian Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Stir Fry Noodles with Crispy Tofu
- Garlic Sesame Noodles
- Vegan Poke Bowl & Crispy Tofu
- Nori Chips (Nacho Style)
- Red Cabbage Salad
- Healthy Fried Rice
And check out these 50+ Dinner Recipes for more inspiration!
If you try this 15-minute vegetable stir fry noodles recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
15-Minute Vegetable Stir Fry Noodles
For the sauce:
For the noodles
- 8-10 ounces uncooked noodles - you can use any type of noodles
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 green onions - thinly sliced
- 2 carrots - thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms - sliced
- 2 cups broccoli - chopped
- sesame seeds
- 1 green onion
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl or a jar.
- Wash and chop the veggies into strips and similar size pieces.
- In a large pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil over high heat. Add the minced garlic cloves and sliced green onions and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the chopped vegetables, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the veggies are softened. If needed, add a splash of water or vegetable broth to avoid burning.
- While the veggies are cooking, soak the noodles in hot water, following the packet directions, then drain.
- Add the cooked noodles and the sauce to the pan. Toss well for a couple of minutes. If you like your noodles darker or more seasoned, add extra soy sauce.
- Sprinkle the noodles with sesame seeds and green onion and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!