Some of the links below are affiliate links, so we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Check our disclosure for more info.
THIS VEGAN WINTER PESTO RECIPE IS SO GOOD, IT IS SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE.
I always thought of pesto as a summer dish, with aromatic basil as the star.
I am all for seasonal winter pesto and this black kale pesto is truly sensational.
The first time I tried this pesto I was in beautiful Florence. I was celebrating New Year’s Eve with my family in one of the most beautiful city on Earth…but here is the thing:
There is nothing in Florence quite impressive as the food you can taste in every corner.
We had so many amazing meals in the 3 days we spent there, but the thing I loved the most was this very simple “Pasta al Pesto di Cavolo Nero”.
Black kale (cavolo nero) is a staple in Tuscan cuisine. I have to admit, it wasn’t an ingredient I used very often before this trip, but I am now a big admirer.
This is why I love traveling so much:
You discover beautiful places, meet incredible people and explore new flavors you didn’t know before. And these flavors become part of your everyday meals.
As soon as I got back home, I experimented with different recipe variations, and I came up with my own version, and I am proud to say it tastes as good, if not better, as the kale pesto I had in Florence.
It turns out it’s a vegan recipe too! You can, of course, add a bit of parmesan to the ingredients if you like. But I do love the simplicity of this recipe as it is.
There are only 6 ingredients, and this is all you need to make this special kale pesto: black kale, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, almonds, water and a pinch of salt.
Winter Black Kale Pesto Pasta
For the black kale pesto
- 2 cups (250g) chopped black kale no stems
- ½ cup (120ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt more to taste
- ⅓ cup (45g) raw almonds
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
For the black kale pesto pasta
- 12 oz (350g) bucatini pasta
- Bring a pan full of water to the boil, and add the chopped black kale leaves without stems. Let it simmer for 3 minutes and drain.
- Place the kale, garlic, almonds, salt and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the water a bit at the time until you reach a creamy consistency.
- Simply cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes until cooked through, then drain. Stir the pesto through the pasta and enjoy!
- You can serve this pesto not only with pasta, but also with crackers, in sandwiches, salads etc.
- You can freeze the kale pesto! Just remove it from the freezer a couple of hours before use and it will still be super delicious!