A FESTIVE AND COLOURFUL FENNEL SALAD THAT WILL BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY!
It’s holiday time!
I have been trying to come up with a delicious yet simple salad to add to my table during this merry time of the year. I was looking for something light and festive that could be a great addition to any meal. But I wanted a quick and easy salad to make, as there are already so many complicated things to cook over Christmas!
Over the weekend I went to the market and spotted some beautiful fennels and grapefruits. And an idea came to mind!
A delicious fennel salad, with pink grapefruits, walnuts, pomegranate and salad cress. I find the combination of all these ingredients absolutely delicious. And they are so colourful: they make any dull winter day a bit more bearable.
This salad is great on its own for a light lunch, or it’s the perfect side dish for any main course. The crunchiness of the pomegranate seeds and walnuts, mixed with tart grapefruit and aromatic and refreshing fennel: absolutely exquisite! It’s also super quick to prepare. It literally takes minutes to throw together.
And this salad isn’t just beautiful to see…
It’s also packed with vitamin C, fiber, and healthy fats. It’s also a great detox salad to eat on its own if you feel like you have indulged a bit too much over the holidays! I will definitely need quite a lot of healthy meals after all these parties!
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Delicious Fennel Salad
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced horizontally into rings
- 1/4 cup (30g walnuts) pieces
- a handful of salad cress
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt
- Slice the fennels in half length-ways, then cut out the core at the base of the fennel and cut each of the two fennel halves into very thin slices (I recommend using a mandolin).
- Peel and slice the grapefruit horizontally into rings.
- With a knife, chop the walnuts into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the fennel, grapefruit slices and pomegranate seeds.
- Wisk together the extra virgin olive oil, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt and drizzle over the salad.
- Scatter over the salad cress and chopped walnuts and serve immediately.
Follow us on PINTEREST for more delicious recipes!