This article may contain links from our partners. We may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please read our disclosure and how we make money for more info.
SPICY AND FULL OF GOODNESS, A DELICIOUS LENTIL SOUP WITH MIDDLE EASTERN FLAVORS!
Cooking this lentil soup is so quick and easy (it’s ready in less than 30 minutes) that it has become one of my favorite evening meals, especially during the Autumn and Winter months when we really need something to warm us up!
This lentil soup is packed full of goodness, is very filling and the scent of spices is so inspiring!
I love lentils and they have been a staple in my diet for years now. Low in calories and high in nutrition, lentils are a great source of protein, and their nutty and hearty flavors make them perfect for soups.
Two essential additions to this soup are ground cumin and black pepper.
Cumin, with its earthy, spicy flavor, brings depth to the soup.
I know it’s a bit more hassle, but grind your cumin at home as you will get a much more intense flavor out of the seeds, and believe me, it’s worth it! Black pepper, with its antioxidant and antibacterial effects, gives the soup a bit of heat.
I also love adding a bit of turmeric to give the soup that extra color. Turmeric has a mild flavor, slightly bitter and peppery, and it’s full of superpowers. With its incredible antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps the liver, lowers cholesterol, and aids digestion.
Once the soup is ready and plated, add the juice of a lemon wedge. The acidity of the lemon with the nuttiness of the lentils creates a seriously delicious and earthy flavor.
Try this middle eastern lentil soup and let me know what you think!
Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
- 2 cups of red split lentils
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- A pinch of finely chopped parsley
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the finely chopped onion and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add the drained lentils to the pot and stir for one minute. Then, add the water, salt, cumin, pepper, and turmeric.
- Bring the ingredients to the boil and let boil on medium heat for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed, to thin the soup
- Sprinkle the soup with finely chopped parsley and serve with a lemon wedge.
- Squeeze in the lemon just before eating.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
If you are interested in starting your own blog, have a look at my step-by-step guide! I will show you everything you need to do to start a successful money-making blog!
Check out all the best resources for your blog! I find all these resources so valuable and I am sure they will help you as much as they helped me.