This Greek chickpea salad combines fresh vegetables and garbanzo beans with a delightful homemade dressing. It’s bursting with classic Greek flavors and works perfectly as a quick side dish or a light main course. It’s one of my favorite salads for the warmer months!
Are you bored of regular lettuce salads and want something packed with classic Mediterranean flavors?
Well, you’ll adore this vibrant salad.
Talk about versatility.
Plus, this recipe can be left slightly deconstructed if you’re on the hunt for fresh meal prep ideas!
Now let’s transport ourselves straight to the Med.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the salad
- Chickpeas: You can grab virtually any protein-packed chickpeas from your local grocery store. Or cook your own.
- Red onion: Chop this fine to give every bite of your Greek chickpea salad crunch and sweetness.
- Cherry tomatoes: Grape tomatoes are juicy, sweet, and full of fresh summertime flavors. The perfect contrast to the tart olives and salty feta! If you don’t have them, regular tomatoes work too.
- Cucumber: English cucumbers work best for this recipe as they’re seedless with crispy thin skins. But in a pinch, any type of cucumber is fine (especially Persian cucumbers!).
- Yellow bell pepper: A classic Greek salad usually contains green peppers as they’re sharper and sturdier than other varieties. But I love using yellow peppers as they’re a touch sweeter (which is ideal for the spring and summer months!).
- Kalamata olives: These bad boys are rich in oleic acid, iron, calcium, and copper – so, they’re a nutritional powerhouse! Look for the darkest olives you can, as the ones that are harvested too early are light with minimal flavor.
- Feta cheese: One of the must-have Greek salad ingredients packed with protein, calcium, and fatty acids. Plus, this cheese contains vitamins A and K (along with folate!).
For the dressing
- Fresh lemon juice: Freshly squeezed juice gives a zesty and bright flavor to the dressing and prevents the ingredients from browning. You can add a small touch of red wine vinegar if you want more tartness.
- Extra virgin olive oil: I love using extra-virgin olive oil as it’s smooth, slightly fruity, and loaded with healthy fats. It’s also a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient that contains vitamins E and K.
- Dried oregano: A critical ingredient for any Mediterranean vinaigrette! It adds a subtle herby flavor and plenty of aromatic goodness. If you want, you can also throw in fresh herbs like dill!
- Black pepper.
Why Should You Add Chickpeas to Salads?
I love chickpeas as they add protein, a subtle nutty flavor, and plenty of texture to virtually any salad.
Oh, and did I mention that they’re rich in vitamins, and minerals, and have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties?
How to Make This Chickpea Green Salad
- Start with the salad base: In a large salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, olives, and feta cheese. Mix well to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Prepare the dressing: Mix the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper in a small jar or mixing bowl.
- Combine the ingredients: Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss everything well to combine. Sprinkle the salad with extra oregano and serve it immediately. You can even throw on some fresh herbs if you want an extra hit of earthy flavor.
How to Store
I recommend eating this Greek chickpea salad immediately, as it doesn’t store overly well once it’s put together.
If you’re trying to meal prep it, I suggest keeping the dressing separate and the salad in an airtight container.
This easy chickpea Greek salad works well with virtually any side.
But I adore it with fresh hummus, creamy avocado, hunks of pita bread, and a few falafel balls!
You can even add grilled chicken and a few extra roasted chickpeas to the mix for extra protein.
Plus, I find that it works beautifully as a side if you’re craving sandwiches for lunch!
Why I Love This Greek Salad Recipe
- The dressing is light, fresh, and healthy (and it’s made with minimal ingredients!).
- You can switch out the veggies for a completely customized dish every time.
- The salty and tangy feta pairs perfectly with the crunchy cucumber and sweet cherry tomatoes!
- It’s packed with antioxidants, healthy fats, and vitamins!
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Greek Salad with Lettuce
- Authentic Italian Salad
- Healthy Potato Salad (No Eggs)
- Radicchio Salad
- Protein Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Cold Rice Salad
- Red Cabbage Salad
If you try this Greek chickpea salad recipe, please leave a comment and a rating and let me know how much you liked it!
Greek Chickpea Salad
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained - (240g drained)
- 1 red onion - chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
- 1 cucumber - chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper - or any other color
- ½ cup kalamata olives - sliced or whole
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- In a large salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, olives, and feta cheese.
- Prepare the dressing: Mix the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper in a jar or small mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss well to combine. Sprinkle with extra oregano and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @gatheringdreams on Instagram. I want to see it!