This article may contain links from our partners. We may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link. Please read our disclosure and how we make money.
This incredibly easy no-cook creamy tomato pasta will be ready in 15 minutes and it’s your perfect weeknight dinner: simple yet amazingly satisfying!
Some days I just crave something creamy and satisfying, quick to make but still healthy!
I am addicted to carbs, and could never get onto one of those low-carb diets out there. I need to eat pasta or rice at least once a day to feel like myself!
And when I am short on time, this pasta can be a life-saver!
It’s made with 7 simple ingredients (once of which is salt!) and it comes together in no time.
All you need is a food processor or a blender, and you are done!
It’s also vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free (as long as you use some gluten-free pasta).
What you need to make this creamy tomato pasta
This pasta is inspired by Pesto Alla Trapanese, a type of pesto cooked in Sicily. And although I made some personal alterations here, the sunny Mediterranean flavors are as delicious as in the original recipe I used to eat when I went on holiday in Sicily as a kid.
For my version of this easy no-cook tomato sauce you’ll need:
- fresh tomatoes
- fresh basil
- extra-virgin olive oil
- capers (optional)
As with any incredibly simple recipe, ingredients are what make a real difference here.
Using fresh sun-ripen sweet tomatoes will make this sauce incredible. So make sure you pick the best quality tomatoes you can find.
You can use cherry tomatoes or vine tomatoes. It’s up to you. If you use cherry tomatoes, you can just put them in the food processor as they are.
If you are using vine tomatoes, you might want to remove the tomato seeds. You will get a slightly thicker sauce. I prefer to leave mine in and simply cut the tomatoes in half before adding them to the blender.
I find that when I toss my pasta in the pan to warm it up, the extra liquid helps.
Some people also go through the trouble of blanching the tomatoes to peel them. I don’t. Who has got time for that? As long as you have a good enough blender, the tomato skin will disappear!
Almonds can be raw or toasted. If you use toasted almonds, you’ll get a little bit more depth in the flavor. But I find that raw almonds make a slightly creamier sauce.
Also make sure your extra-virgin olive oil is of good quality, as the flavor will come through the sauce.
Capers add a little more saltiness, but they are optional. You can use capers in brine or salt. If you use capers in salt, reduce the quantity of salt you use to your taste.
And, of course, pick your favorite type of pasta! Here I used chickpeas and brown rice pasta. It’s naturally gluten-free and packed with protein and fiber.
If you want to make this recipe in under 15 minutes, make sure to choose a type of pasta that cooks in under 10 minutes.
You can top your pasta with some vegan parmesan (I use grated walnuts with a pinch of nutritional yeast). Or you can use real parmesan if you want to simply keep this pasta vegetarian.
How to make this easy no-cook creamy tomato pasta
1. While your pasta is cooking, put the almonds in a blender or food processor and blend for a few seconds until you get something that resembles almond meal, like this.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until you reach a smooth creamy consistency.
3. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then put it back into the pan. Add the creamy tomato sauce and mix for a couple of minutes on low heat, until warm.
4. Add some parmesan on top (vegan or not), and enjoy!
Some other great dinner ideas:
And if you are looking for some other simple dinner recipes check out some of my favorites here:
- Black Kale Pesto Pasta
- Stir-Fry Noodles With Crispy Tofu
- One-Pan Mexican Quinoa
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 10-Minute Chickpea Curry
- Lentil Coconut Curry
No-Cook Creamy Tomato Pasta
- 12 oz favorite pasta of choice
- Bring the water to the boil, add salt, and cook your pasta al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, put the almonds in a blender or food processor and blend for a few seconds until you get something that resembles almond meal.
- Add the tomatoes (if using vine tomatoes cut them in half), extra-virgin olive oil, washed basil leaves, peeled garlic clove, capers, salt and blend until you reach a smooth creamy consistency. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then put it back in the pan. Add the creamy sauce and mix for a couple of minutes on low heat, until warm.
- Add some parmesan on top (vegan or not) and some fresh basil leaves, and enjoy!