Healthy Oatcakes with Rosemary
These homemade healthy oatcakes are made with simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients. The perfect gluten-free and dairy-free snack!
- 3 1/2 cups medium oatmeal - (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
If you are blending your own oatmeal from rolled oats, simply place the rolled oat in a blender or food processor and blend until you get a coarse flour.
Mix the oatmeal, finely chopped fresh rosemary, and salt in a bowl, and add the extra virgin olive oil.
Bring the water to the boil and add it to the bowl. Mix with a spoon and let it cool slightly. Then use your hands to form a dough. Feel free to add a bit more water if the dough feels too crumbly. Just add it a tablespoon at the time.
Roll out the dough until very thin (3mm) and cut in circles with a round cookie cutter ( I used a 3 1/16 in - 78mm cookie cutter). If the dough is a bit sticky, I normally roll it out on a baking sheet, to avoid using additional flour.If the dough is too crumbly, don't add too much water. Simply roll out a quarter of the dough at a time.
Place the circles on a flat tray covered with a baking sheet, no extra grease required.
Bake until golden brown, for 15-20 minutes. If your oven doesn't cook evenly, make sure to turn the trays half-way through baking. Keep a close eye on the oatcakes in the last 5-8 minutes, to avoid overcooking them.
When the oatcakes are ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Nutritional values are per oatcake.
- Oat is naturally gluten-free but if you want to ensure the oatcakes are completely gluten-free, please remember to check that the oats you buy are certified gluten-free.
- You can store your oatcakes for over a week in an airtight container, once they are completely cool (but they never last that long)!
Calories: 51kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 29mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg